Saturday, June 25, 2011

6.25- Saturday already?!!

On Saturdays, there is no school so all of the volunteers took a short trip to Manalaparum, a city that is right along the Bay of Bengal… about an hour and a half from the school.
My friends and I had a lot of time to barter (Nick and Spencer… The stores were filled with chudadars (their traditional dress that I wear every day) and other girly stuff…I wanted to buy you two Aladdin pants, but I figured you would probably not want those…haha).








This man’s nickname was “Jolly” and he was probably one of the nicest and happiest guys that I have met in India! He is working away from his family in Manalaparum and has not seen them for months…he owns this tiny little shop to support them. When my friend Ali and I went in, we looked around for a little bit and then just didn’t see anything else that we were interested in. Instead of trying to sell anything to us, he talked to us for almost ten minutes about how to be happy!! He gave ali an extra gift as we were leaving. She said that she wanted to pay him for it, but he insisted that it he would be much happier if she would just take it as a gift from him…


We were also able to see some temple ruins that were in the city as well. This rock on the temple grounds is called the Butterball. It looks like it is going to fall over any second, but they tried to move it by attaching twelve elephants to it and it wouldn’t budge!






This family group kept asking to take pictures with us… the Indians here are so beautiful!


A little bit about the Indian people… the cattle are their most holy animal. In every city and on every road, there are cattle that just walk through. They hardly ever pick up the cow manure in the streets because it is sacred and holy as well (anything from the cow is sacred to them). They are so sacred that if you hurt a cow while driving, you will be put in jail!


We were also able to stop at the Bay of Bengal and swim for a little bit! I didn’t bring my swim suit, so I wore some chudadars and a t-shirt! (apparently this bay is notorious for having lots of sharks?!)





On our way back we stopped off for dinner at a small junction and had the best nann that I have had so far! Yummy!!




Every Saturday night, the kids have a movie night for the kids with all of the volunteers. If the child has had enough “good marks” for the week, then they are able to go to movie night… everything is set up here to try and reward good behavior. Tonight we watched Tron…or tried to at least! I was with Nathia, Maryambee, Satia and some of us fell asleep during the movie- they said that the boys had picked it and I don’t think that they were too happy about not watching a princess movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment